Saturday, June 24, 2006

Attitudes to the National Anthem - the Swiss, the British, the Indian (and others?)

Having been born and brought up in India, and having lived in the U.K. for some 19 years, I can assure my readers that almost every citizen of both countries knows the respective national anthem and can at least pretend to sing it (words and music).

I do not know how it is with citizens of other countries. But I was astonished to discover, recently, that very few Swiss people know either the words or the music of their national anthem!

Is there any explanation for what seems to me a curious phenomenon?

Or does this phenomenon exist also in very many other countries? Are there really any other countries in which citizens do not know their own national anthem?


, , , , , , , , , Sphere: Related Content

No comments: