Wednesday, December 07, 2011

What are the advantages and disadvantages of Twilk?

One of my blog-friends has sent me a mail encouraging me to use this new-ish application ("ap") called Twilk.

On checking it out, I find nothing on the internet about the advantages and disadvantages of using this ap.

Here is what I find from the Twilk site itself about what the ap does and does not do:

"This application will be able to:
•Read Tweets from your timeline.
•See who you follow, and follow new people.
•Update your profile.
•Post Tweets for you.

This application will not be able to:
•Access your direct messages.
•See your Twitter password".

While what Twilk does NOT do is comforting, and I am comfortable about all the other things that Twilk is able to do (e.g. read my Tweets and see who I follow), I am not comfortable about Twilk's ability to "follow new people".

What does Twilk mean by "new people" (presumably people who I do not follow)?

HOW does Twilk find such "new people" to follow? Presumably via the people who I do follow?

If so, how does it get access, without their permission, to their contact lists?

Or does it automatically mail everyone who I follow and ask for their permission to access their contact lists?

Or does it do so more subtly by mailing them and inviting them to join Twilk?

Perhaps one of my readers can enlighten me? As usual, either via a personal email or via a response here.

Oh, and BTW, if you're wondering what Twilk actually does, all it does is "prettify" your Twitter site with the avatars of everyone you follow and everyone who follows you.

Not much use if you don't like the avatars concerned.

But if you do like the avatars concerned, does putting all these avatars on your Twitter page not also slow down the download of your Twitter page, specially in locations where only has a slow or shared line?

Thanks for any information you share. Sphere: Related Content

No comments: