Sunday, February 02, 2014

New English words needed to indicate grand-parents' relationships with each other

I think we need to invent at least two new words in English.

That's because children have (normally) two paternal grandparents as well as two maternal grandparents.

So what is the paternal grandfather to the maternal grandfather, or vice versa?

No single word for the relationship exists in the English language (so far as I am aware).

So what about saying that they are "grand-fellows" to each other?

If that suggestion is acceptable, that leaves the question of the grandmothers: what is the paternal grandmother to the maternal grandmother, and vice versa?

Unfortunately, no exact equivalent to "fellow" exists for women.

Suggestions welcome!

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: