Saturday, August 12, 2006

I was also wrong about "India: 1"

Apparently, I was too hasty in awarding a goal to India in my recent "India vs. Switzerland" bureaucracy match.

I am told that India's Central Cabinet is now busy blunting the edge of the Right to Information Act (also commonly called the "Right to Know" Act).

The Cabinet has done this by approving an Amendment to the Act, designed to prevent the right to access "file notings" - that is, the notes and comments made on the files by bureaucrats.

The Cabinet is proposing to place the Amendment before the next session of the Indian Parliament.

The National Campaign for People’s Right to Information (NCPRI) has created an on-line petition against the Amendment, which can be viewed and signed at:

http://www.petitiononline.com/save_rti/

I urge you to sign it. Sphere: Related Content

No comments: