Sunday, September 07, 2008

on References

I find that it is becoming a disease to ask for a reference from anyone and everyone for posting on social networks, such as Xing and Facebook.

Someone I have met several times but do not know well, has just asked for a reference as an "Expert Resource" at various international organisations.

What can one do in such a case? I could only respond: "Dear XXX, I am honoured that you ask me for a Recommendation as Expert Resource at .... But surely I must be one of the least qualified people to do so, as I have no personal experience of your work? Moreover, I have no standing in relation to such bodies, so even if I did write a Recommendation, it would have no value in the eyes of any one who has any sense, as it will be immediately obvious that I cannot know anything in relation to your work at first hand?" Sphere: Related Content

No comments: